2019 Programme Location Information
Become a Member
IntroductionThe Heritage CentrePenkridge Heritage Centre began life as an 18th Century Barn and was later converted to a gaol. It is situated across the road from the old Constable's Cottage and directly behind the Village Stocks.
Stocks have been in the village for around 500 years, conveniently placed beside Bell Brook for the easy disposal of rubbish thrown at miscreants.
The Centre was last used as a gaol in 1837, over the years time took its toll on the fabric of the building. In the year 2000, with the help of a generous grant from the Onyx Environmental Trust and many local sources, the building was acquires by local sources, the building was acquired by Penkridge Civic Society and refurbished as the Society's Headquarters and a village amenity.About Penkridge Civic SocietyThe Society was re-formed in 1995, with the aims and objectives of caring for the past, present and future of Penkridge. The Society owns the Old Gaol, which it runs as its own headquarters, and as a Heritage Centre which is open to the public (free of charge) from Easter until the end of September (see details on back of leaflet), with guided tours suitable for all the family, a visit to a reconstructed 18th century cell, sales of souvenirs and books on local history and local walks.We have a programme of monthly meetings with speakers on a variety of subjects of local and historic interest, which are open to non-members for a small charge.Each year, during our open season, we mount a themed exhibition on some topic of local interest to both Penkridge and its surrounding areas.In addition, we arrange members‘ visits to local places of historic interest; usually these events take place twice per year.The Society is consulted on local planning of developments within the Conservation Area.